Sunday 10 March 2013

How far will you trust?

                       How far will you trust?


The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemingway


 I have been a very gullible person and a simpleton and must have been a joke of a lot many who thought they fooled me.That still didn't stop me from trusting people, from taking them at their face value.I felt deceived and cheated and went through a low phase till recently.
I took a test in my Science class and asked the students to check the test themselves after tallying their answers with my correct ones.'Ma'm', one child protested,'it will be so unfair.Everybody will give full marks to themselves'. He was probably right for most of the cases but the child had to learn the lesson of trust. I told him,' Suryansh I trust each one of you and if somebody breaks my trust, it is his problem, not mine.'
I don't know if the strategy works with grown-ups but it most frequently does with the children. If you show a child that you trust him, he will carry it like an obligation on his frail shoulders.Anticipate a child's move and plan my strategies accordingly, cynics would advise me.For God's sake, this is not a battlefield.It is a classroom and kids are involved and I am not a sleuth.I am a teacher.
In this world which is so full of mistrust and hatred , are we giving the right values to our kids? More than that- are we setting examples which would develop positive learning experiences in them?
Unconsciously we pass on many prejudices and pre-conceived notions to these impressionable kids.As mom/teacher we can make an effort not to show the kids our feet of clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment